Tuesday, February 17, 2009

News Story on Terel and Tyrel


02/17/2009

Snowflake's Terel Nichols joins late brother as state champion
By: Keith Morris , The Independent can be found at: http://www.wmicentral.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20263259&BRD=2264&PAG=461&dept_id=505964&rfi=6

Snowflake's Terel Nichols has a good grip on Holbrook's Adrian Perkins during their 189-pound championship bout during the 3A individual state finals on Saturday. Nichols won 7-3 to join his late brother, Tyrel, as a state champion.
PRESCOTT VALLEY - Terel Nichols had a lot of family members on hand to cheer him on in his bid to win a state wrestling championship on Saturday.
"About 13," he figured.
There was one missing, however.
The Snowflake senior's older brother, Tyrel, did not occupy a seat at Tim's Toyota Center to witness the 3A individual state finals.
Sadly, the 2002 state champion recently took his own life.
"He got mentally ill," Terel Nichols said of his brother. "He wasn't all there."
Tyrel was a big part of his younger brother's life and was a key to his success on the wrestling mat.
And, although he wasn't physically there in the arena on Friday or Saturday, he certainly was there in spirit.
"Oh yeah," Terel said when asked if his brother was in his thoughts as he posted a 7-3 victory over Holbrook's Adrian Perkins to win the 189-pound championship and cap a 45-4 season. "It was hard but I wore this thing he took state in," Terel said, lifting his sweatshirt to revel the uniform with the block "S" his brother wore seven years ago in claiming the 171 3A title.
He wanted nothing more than to join his brother at the top of the medal stand.
"It feels good," he said. "My brother took his (title), now it's my turn...It was something I wanted to do."
He was hoping to win it all a year ago but had to settle for second place. Winning a championship took on greater significance for him when he lost his brother during his final season.
"I wrestled for six years before doing it," he said. "It's what me and my brother always wanted - to have two state champs in the family. So, I finally got it."
Terel is one of nine children. He has five sisters and one living brother. His oldest brother, Taj, died in 1987, nine years after falling into a pool and suffering brain damage as a 2-year-old. The large family offers him plenty of support in grieving for Tyrel.
"It means a lot (that) I could do it for them," said Terel, also a standout football player. "It kind of helps them too as long as it helps me. It means a lot. They're all supporting me and my brother's up there with me too, so it's good."
Tyrel was a big supporter of his younger brother on the mats.
"The last tournament I took was Moon Valley and he was there with me and I took first," Terel said. "I was named Most Outstanding Wrestler, had the most takedowns and most pins. After that he passed away and in my next tournament, I took fourth (at the Doc Wright Invitational). It was really hard for me."
But he was determined to succeed in his final tournament for both himself and his brother.
"I knew I could take state and I pulled it off," Terel said.

2 comments:

TJ Eich said...

That is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Sandi said...

Wow, what a great story.