Saturday, September 5, 2009

Finally: A Pond Post

So, back in February I put a pond in my backyard. Some time later I actually created a word doc which I intended to use as a blog entry in regards to that pond. Some -further time later - I can't find that word doc. You have no idea what that does to me! It drives me so crazy that I will spend an hour combing my computer looking for it rather than just rewriting the stupid entry. Well, as you might be able to tell at this point . . . I didn't find it. That sucks! But, here's to rewrites. (I am severely tempted to go back and look some more - now that is why I am jacked up - Thanks Mom and Dad - I blame you for my problems!! The genetic ones anyway).

Ok, the pond. I know you don't want to hear it but there is a little bit of a back story, so sit back, get comfy - and try not to fall asleep. (or you can just scroll down to the photos - I will just pretend you can't read).

We have three turtles. One of which we have had for close to ten years. We got him when he was no bigger than a milk cap. He has spent some time in my brother's care (can't believe he is alive after that) But, the important thing is, we have him back (granted he had a huge lump on his right side - which we got fixed). I have always wanted to give our turtle (he doesn't even have a name - who has a ten year old pet with no name? Me) a pond. Well, I was walking through Lowes (window shopping) and low and behold the were closing out all their pond stuff. I couldn't say no. Window shopping became actual shopping. So, I called Lisa and told her I wasn't going to make it to the bus stop to pick up the kids (I know that is low - but this is serious savings).

I picked up a 300 gallon liner for $10, that is a savings of $280. I bought three preformed water fall pools $2 a piece - Total savings of $30. I bought a biological/mechanical filter with built in uv $35 - $150 in savings. (ok, and some other stuff that wasn't on sale ;)) Point is, I saved over $450 bucks.

After a few trips to collect river rock my pond is functional. It will be beautified later when I have money and time. Check out the pics.


You wouldn't think that you would need to dig that much, but . . . YOU DO!

Posing for the Camera.

Uuuhhhmmm, yeah, that didn't end well. I thought it would be funny to throw dirt on her. I guess it isn't??

Haddli is trying out the liner. "Pretty nice," she says, "it is a swimming pool dad," - she continues.

Work continued on into the night.


The next Morning.

From upstairs. Man that is a lot of dirt.

With the river rock.



Here are a couple o the turtles enjoying their new home.








My Filter.



Now that is a dive!

No comments: