Thursday, February 5, 2009

New Pets - Bugsy and Ellaphant (Ella)

Ok, so Hannah had her annual Kindergarten field trip the other day. We went to a dairy farm out in east Mesa. It was actually pretty interesting. I learned that they put these big magnets in the cows stomachs and because cows stomach and because cow's stomachs process from bottom to top the magnet just sits there. Then when the cow eats a screw or something (which is common because of where they get their food) that something which could possibly kill the cow sticks to the magnet and disintegrates in the cow's stomach acid - leaving the magnet to strike again. Anyway, they had a petting zoo with some cute rabbits, chickens and stuff. Check out a few photos and then we will refocus on the point of my story.
Ok, back to the point. Seing all these animals - if you didn't know Lisa and I are suckers for animals - made me want to get some rabbits. So, after I picked Hannah up from school we went to the AZ Humane Society. We didn't find any rabbits that we were particularly in love with but we did find two Guinea Pigs. They are sisters and were turned in because the owners didn't have enough time for them. Well I bartered a deal (2nd one half off) to keep'em together (sshhh we don't want the Cavies to find out one of them cost less than the other-could cause some issues-they are supposedely very emotional creatures). Anyway, Hannah and I became the proud owners of two sister Cavies. First is Bugsy (because she looks just like Bugsy on "Bedtime Stories"). Minus the CGI (Computer-generated imagery) huge eyes - ofcourse.

Then we have Ellaphant (Ella for short). I think we got that name from Little Bill unless it is just a coincidence that he also has a Cavy named Ellaphant. She isn't so ugly in real life (don't tell Hannah I said that - she thinks she is beautiful - only a mothers love!).Well, of course I couldn't just go buy some dumb cage!! I had to build one. So I crafted a two level cage with a removable tray lined with galvanized steel. The ramp up to the second story is not shown in the picture but I am sure you can imagine how awesome it is!

Put it all together and you have got two very happy Cavy Sisters enjoying some yummy timothy hay.

Oh, and just a note. Part of the Cavy deal was that Hannah and Hallie clean the cage . . . . . .uuhhhmmm . . . . . Yeah - that has worked out really well-NOT! But, at least they keep them well fed along with all the other rodents in their room!

No comments: